Saturday, December 20, 2014

Dec 19 (Day 353) - DeRAILed without internet

Hey All, looks like you're stuck with me (Sonia) again since Dorian is without internet for the night. And yes, the title of this post is my terrible attempt at bird puns. Waka, Waka, Waka... I'll be here all night.



Without going into too much detail, Dorian did end up changing his plans for the day. What was supposed to be a wet and miserable day turned out to be better than expected. Therefore, he traded in his plans of movie watching and buffet gorging for an attempt at bird watching in Sergeant, TX. What's in Sergeant, you ask? He is once again on a Rail hunt (hence my horrible pun). Considering the pains of his last Rail hunt, I am bracing myself for the possibilities that he may come back less than happy after enduring an endless night of unproductive nocturnal birding. Oh joy. That should definitely put him in the Christmas spirit. I am really hoping that the Yellow rail is more cooperative than the Black rail. If you happened to miss those riveting Black rail postings, you can find them here. It was nearly 100 days ago but I still hear "KeeKeeKrrrrr" in my nightmares.

Well Folks, I'm not sure if I'll be posting again this week or even before the end of the year. It's unbelievable to think that the year is nearly over (I'm giddy with excitement to see Dorian in about a week... and this time I get to take him with me!). If I don't get the opportunity in the next few days, I'll go ahead and wish you all a wonderful holiday season now. Dorian can be a bit of a Grinch when it comes to Christmas, so I wouldn't count on any inspirational holiday posts from him. In fact, just today he went on some diatribe about his annoyance with Christmas lights. Something about NASA observing the overuse of Christmas lights from space and how he can hear the sounds of polar ice caps melting. You know, real cheery stuff. 

For comparison, here's me standing in front of a Christmas tree with all those death lights...

And here's Dorian..........


The resemblance is uncanny

Therefore, it is I who will wish you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah  Wonderful Kwanzaa or whatever else you may celebrate. While I have managed to get Dorian into a little holiday cheer in the past, I'm sure he'll spend this at a Chinese buffet biting on pieces of coal.


Below are a couple rare moments of Dorian smiling on Christmas. The secret must be in the ridiculous hats.

Christmas 2013

Christmas 2012

9 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful holiday as well. Thanks for your blogging along with Dorian this year. It has been a fun adventure for us to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing both you and Dorian a Merry Holiday season. Yellow Rail, check! May 2015 be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us updated here with your delightful sense of humor and wonderful holiday spirit, Sonia. I'm more on the grinch side of the season, but I do love wishing friends a Happy Winter Solstice. Hope Dorian has found his rail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! Thank-you for this blog and all the amazing facts I have learned about birds and their habitats:) what an honor to be able to do this biking Big Year! You two are a beautiful couple and I will miss your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays, Sonia! I have enjoyed your posts as much as I have enjoyed Dorian's posts. You two seem like the cutest couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy holiday, Sonia! I Second everything Kristin said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rail-lee wish you both a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :-)
    Thanks for the entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonia, you are such a sweetie, and I've really enjoyed your post additions this year. Dorian is very blessed by you! Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas and a very birdy 2015! It would be great if Dorian can still find a bird or 2 to end the year, but even if he doesn't, this has been an amazing thing he has done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have loved seeing your posts intermixed with Dorian's. :) Thanks for filling in!

    ReplyDelete