Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mar 6 (Day 65) - Bike repairs and bad weather

Today was a very slow birding day. I only managed about 5 hours of sleep last night after producing such a lengthy blog entry on yesterday's tremendous successes. I tried for Mangrove cuckoo again this morning without success. It is really early for these birds right now as very few are actually calling in early March. I will try again tomorrow so say a little player for me tonight.

After striking out on cuckoo, I looked at the weather to see that there were going to be bad thunderstorms in the afternoon. My bike has held up really well for the first 9 weeks of the trip, but I figured that it would be a good time to have it professionally tuned-up. I also figured that finding a really good bike store in Miami would be much easier than in some other random small town. I dropped the bike off at Bike Masters and killed a few hours working on my photos. The bike was returned in great shape after the tune-up and a bath. Beyond the tune-up, I additionally had the chain and rear gear cassette replaced. I knew this was coming as I have not yet changed the chain. With the nasty Northeast roads behind me, I am sure this chain/cassette will last at least a few thousand miles. 

After the bike store I raced home as fast as I could to avoid the coming thunderstorm. The top image is the radar map at 3pm; The storm was coming in from the west. The bottom image was taken over my shoulder as I sprinted east at 2:45pm.  At each red light the wall of water would catch and drench me. When the light turned green I was temporarily able to pedal ahead of the deluge. This game of tag continued for several miles until I reach the safety of the garage at the house where I am staying. I just beat the worst if the storm, and I hunkered down for an afternoon of logistics and photo editing. I did ride 31 miles today.






I am going to bird around the same "unnamed road" (see map above) area very early tomorrow morning. The wind is going to start pounding from the west in the afternoon so I will probably hunker down again as I am unlikely to find any of my remaining target species. I am going to have an incredibly tough day on Saturday as I cross the Tamiami trail to the west side of the state. This ride will be ~110 miles, and there is next to nothing in between the end points. This would be a suicide mission (at least for me) into a 15-20 MPH wind tomorrow, so I will attempt this on Saturday when the conditions should be better. Fingers crossed for good weather/winds on that day!

1 comment:

  1. We are the best Winnipeg dent repairs service provider. The experience of seeing an auto body dent disappear right before your eyes without sanding, filling, and repainting is truly amazing. Winnipeg dent repairs

    ReplyDelete