Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21 (Day 202) - Getting in position for Black rosy-finch

Just a quick midday update since we won't likely have internet up in the Uinta Mountains tonight. This morning I rode from our makeshift campsite outside of Fruitland, UT to Heber City where we passed the heat of the day. I will now start the very long, steep climb into the Uintas. I will do about 2,500' feet over 28 miles tonight (on top of the 2,000' and 40 miles I have already done today), and 3,400' over 20 miles tomorrow morning to reach Bald Mountain. Tomorrow afternoon we will scour the slopes of this traditional Black rosy-finch haunt. It was here that I saw my lifer (and only) Black-rosy-finch in June of 2001. Should we find the bird tomorrow, we will drop back down to Heber City for the night. Should we miss it we will camp at Bald Mountain tomorrow and take another crack on at it on Wednesday.



The morning ride today was fairly uneventful. I did stop at Strawberry Reservoir for a few minters if birding. There loads of American white pelicans and grebes (Western, Clark's, Eared) and 2 Caspian terns as well. 

OK, it starting to cool down outside and there is a strong wind blowing from the southwest. This should help push me north and east on the afternoon leg of today's ride. Time to go.....

I'll check back in when we have internet again!

1 comment:

  1. You're going to spend a Night on Bald Mountain? This could get scary...

    -Jonah

    ReplyDelete